June 21-23, 2021
We look forward to welcoming you to TDWI Munich digital for the first time. Experience the latest trends, challenges and solutions from experts as well as stimulating discussions in the data community from the comfort of your home office.
We are hosting two customer case study speaking slots during the event.
1. My Journey from Data Warehouse Automation Sceptic to Advocate at Toyota Financial Services (Tuesday, June 22nd, 10:50 - 11:30 CEST) - English language
Speaker: Carsten Griefnow, Senior BI Manager at Toyota Financial Services
This session, given in an interview format, explores Carsten Griefnow’s journey from Data Warehouse Automation sceptic to advocate, and what this transition has allowed his team to achieve at Toyota Kreditbank.
Carsten’s BI team received data from nine countries in different formats, at different times and with different frequencies, varying from daily to monthly. For this reason, fulfilling regulatory requirements with hand coding and ETL tools was a real challenge.
The group BI team was looking for a new solution to harmonise the data model, renew the technical infrastructure and implement a unified data delivery. Carsten had used Data Warehouse Automation at a previous company and was very sceptical about the success, but now realises this was a problem of mindset across the team and not the technology.
During this session, you will learn:
- Why Toyota Kreditbank chose Snowflake and Data Vault modelling
- How the company automated their manual repetitive processes for long-term time savings
- What a switch from manual ETL to automated ELT has achieved
- How to get full documentation and lineage out of the box
- Lessons learned from two DW automation implementations
- How to do 2.5 years’ worth of batch reloads in just 2 hours
2. How Zapp Systems Transformed its EDW and SAP Environment with Data Automation (Wednesday, June 23rd, 09:00 - 09:40 CEST) - German language
Speakers: Dr. Rainer Schmitz, Corporate Manager Process Management at Zapp Systems, and Moritz Jungblut, Business Intelligence Specialist at Zapp Systems
Dr. Schmitz describes the situation that led Zapp Systems to look for an automation tool, detailing the challenge of bringing multiple inconsistent source systems together including production data from SAP. He then covers the process of comparing automation tools such as WhereScape and Time Xtender against each other at the proof-of-concept stage, explaining how and why Zapp chose the tool around which to base the rebuilding of the company’s data warehousing methodology.
We will hear about the journey his team undertook as they switched to an automation mindset, and successfully linked the automation tool to SAP to produce accurate analytics. Rainer will then explain the current data strategy from a business point of view now automation has become part of Zapp’s everyday routine.
Then Moritz Jungblut gives a technical deep dive into the architecture. First, he will show us the current architecture, describing each layer and its function. He will show how:
- Adding a column now takes just 15 minutes
- A new table from SAP takes one day, with modelling taking one hour
- There are automated model conversions for each source type
- The automation tool clearly visualises dependencies
- How metadata allows the team to instantly produce full documentation